Do you want to evade sun-damaged hair this summer season? Well, the scorching sun can harm your tresses just like it affects the skin.
Planning well ahead of summer and a proper hair care routine can help in shielding your precious mane from the fierce heat. Read on to learn some essential tips and tricks to care for your hair in the summer season.
How Does the Sun Affect Your Hair?
The burning weather and the sun’s UV rays can harm the outer layer of your hair – the cuticle. The cuticle tends to become uneven and can swell up to draw humidity. This generates frizz in the hair. Frizzy hair is dehydrated, unmanageable and inclined to breakage. The surplus moisture and sweat can also cause your hair to fall dull and lose its volume.
- Protect your tresses from the sun: Make an everyday habit of applying a hair care product that contains UV filters (these can be in spray, gel, or cream formulas). These products protect hair from sun damage and help keep colour-processed hair from fading. If you’ll be spending lots of time outdoors, wear a wide-brimmed hat. Not only will it keep your strands from getting scorched, but it will also safeguard your scalp and ears, areas that are vulnerable to skin cancer.
- Avoid Using Heat Styling tools: Reaching out for our blow-dryers after we’ve washed our hair is almost a reflex. The reality is that any application of heat draws moisture out of our hair, increases breakage, and leads to dryness. And this situation is exacerbated by sun exposure. It’s best to switch to air-drying instead. And avoid styling your hair with curlers and straighteners too.
- Oiling is important: Though it might seem like you can dodge oiling in summer, it is one of the greatest blunders that women make while taking care of hair in summer. Hair oil like coconut oil or olive oil can promote the growth of hair and boost blood circulation. A coat of oil also stops your hair from losing moisture. You must apply warm oil to the scalp and wrap a hot towel around your head. It improves the efficiency of oil to work on your scalp and lengths.
- Conditioning is a must: Rinse with apple cider vinegar diluted in water for a quick natural conditioner. Use some coconut oil or shea butter (careful with this, since it can be heavy) to smooth, de-frizz, and moisturize your locks after washing. The oil will give some lustre and, if you have wavy hair, create natural, air-dried curls. Try a natural deep conditioning treatment once a week to get that additional bit of moisture into your hair.
- Keep seasonal hair fall in check: As the weather changes, irritation can grow on the scalp which can lead to flakiness. A flaky scalp can cause excess hair fall so it’s essential to use a gentle treatment to clear out any scalp allergies or redness. Use a purifying Aloe Vera gel (without any toxic additives or preservatives) directly on your scalp to reduce any sunburn or itchiness and rinse with a mild shampoo.
We’ve discussed the tips to fight summer frizz and static and maintain a healthy scalp—now let’s talk about a sure shot way to add additional volume and length. Say hello to your new best friend: clip-in hair extensions! While many alternatives are quite costly, we have a quality set for hair extensions that look supernatural and will redo your look in a snap. Best of all, extensions provide extra support and relief when dealing with harsh climates like summer, humidity and wind, guaranteeing every day is a good hair day.